This is how the Kobalt six drawer tool chest comes packaged. The bottom six-drawer cabinet
Poor Man's War Wagon
Lowe's Home Improvement Warehouse might not be the first place you'd think of to buy tools for your race car but when given the chance to scour its Tool World for tools for the racer, we jumped at the opportunity. The very first item that caught our eye was the new blue powdercoated 12-drawer toolchest. The chest is actually two six-drawer chests, sold separately and stacked one on top of the other. For $1,000, this chest looks, feels, and performs like one of those professional sets from a mobile tool company. We thought long and hard about using that headline, Poor Man's War Wagon, because we didn't want to give the impression that this box was anything other than totally awesome. However, when Sprint Cup teams are spending upwards of the cost of a top-of-the-line Cadillac for a war wagon tool chest, $1,000 is a bargain. The top and bottom are sold separately at $499 each, so you can buy the bottom and add the top later if your budget doesn't permit doing both at once. Plus, Lowe's also offers no payment/no interest purchase options for people who hold a Lowe's Credit Card.
We also found a host of tools in the Tool World that would fit perfectly inside the chest. These are basic tools that every racer should have. In some cases we chose tools that perform multiple functions or tool sets in order to show that you can buy tools on a budget:
The racer's ultimate present for his or her shop.
• 12-piece screwdriver set (6 slotted, 6 phillips): $29.98
• 9-piece 3/8-inch impact sockets SAE: $34.96
• 9-piece 3/8-inch impact sockets metric: $34.96
• 8-piece 1/2-inch impact sockets SAE: $39.96
• 10-piece 1/2-inch impact sockets metric: $47.96
• 7-piece locking flex heavy-duty ratcheting wrenches metric and SAE: $69.97
• 154-piece mechanics tool set including 1/4-, 3/8-, and 1/2-inch drives with three quick-change ratchets, 22 deep sockets, and 23 Torx and hex bit sockets: $149
• 10 pliers and wrench set, chrome nickel steel pliers, plus chrome vanadium steel locking pliers and adjustable wrench: $39.98
Totaling the individual costs of the items above we come to a total retail price for everything you see (including the Tool Chest) of $1,444.77.