The Ackermann effect was more than what we wanted in this car. It measured 0.210-inch of a
5. Caster and Camber check - Our caster split was LF = 1.0 and RF = 4.0 degrees. This is more than I think we need, but for now we will keep these settings.
The initial cambers were: LF = 5.8 degrees and the RF = (-) 2.7 degrees. We changed these numbers to LF = 3.75 and RF = (-) 3.25 degrees. These are based on our anticipated dive and roll for the setup we intend to use.
1. The front anti-dive was approximately 5 degrees on the RF upper control arm angle from a side view and zero degrees in the left upper control arm. This is fairly standard anti-dive split whereas many teams are resorting to pro-dive on the left front. We felt we did not need any special effects with our setup.
2. The anti-squat effect from third link angle was set at around 8 degrees of third link angle and sufficient for our car.
Initially we were faced with a Panhard bar situation where we could not move the left end down to much less than 11 inches due to conflict with the under-slung frame rail. We also had a small 11/8-inch sway bar installed. This produced a high degree of roll tendency in the front and a much smaller amount in the rear. We decided to make some changes. Here are the starting setup numbers and the ones we changed to:
Our anti-dive in the front suspension was set with about 5 degrees of upper control arm si
The Original Setup: Springs RF = 250, LF = 250, LR = 185, RR = 225. Panhard bar height from the ground - Left = 11 inches, right = 12 inches. Cross weight = 60.3 percent (with 50.2 rear percent), sway bar size = 1.125-inch outer diameter with a .75-inch inside diameter.
The New Setup: Springs RF = 250, LF = 250, LR = 200, RR = 200. Panhard bar height from the ground - left = 9 inches, right = 10.5 inches. Cross weight = 53.0 percent, 1.375-inch hollow sway bar diameter with 1-inch inside diameter. NOTE: Keep in mind this is a setup for this car only. Your car will have differences in several areas, particularly weight distribution. Please don't just throw this in your car and expect it to work.
We installed a new panhard bar mount on the rear axle tubing that put the left end of the panhard bar to the right of the left frame rail. This allowed us to move the mount down past the frame rail and get our left height of 9 inches.
The Ohlins double adjustable shocks we used were set to neutral (mid-range) for compression at the front and rears. For rebound, we added three clicks to the fronts and took three clicks out of the LR shock. This was done to let that corner rebound quicker to accommodate the abnormal transition off Turn 4. The RR corner rebound was set to neutral.
A former student, Tequad Tillman, stopped by to help out and look over the car. He was one
Now that we had established our spring rates and weight distribution, it was time to set the car on the scales and re-set ride heights and wheel weights. This is a process that takes some time, but once all of the other parameters have been established, it would be the final routine before taking to the track.
Our next job was to load the trailer the next day and head off to the track for the first race of the season at Madison International Speedway, an ASA member track in the Midwest. The student's permission slips from their parents were turned in, the car was loaded, and we were ready.
Once at the track, last minute preparations were made and it was discovered that some bolts that needed it were not safety wired. Next the students were shown how to select the tires, air them up, and set the starting pressures.